What are peptides and how do they work?
From a chemical point of view, peptides are organic compounds that are formed from amino acid units linked together by peptide bonds. In order to obtain a peptide with the proper properties and functions, the most important thing is the size of the molecules and their mutual arrangement in the chain. In order to better penetrate the peptide through the stratum corneum of the epidermis, their original structure was modified by adding a fatty acid chain to it.
Peptides are involved in many physiological processes, and in cosmetology are most often used for anti-aging therapies. Over the past decades, they have been well studied and have gained popularity due to their effectiveness. That is why, when we notice the first wrinkles, facial lines or loss of firmness of the skin on the face and look for the best solutions, we increasingly consider cosmetics with peptides that can take us years without the need for invasive methods. They affect extracellular matrix synthesis, pigmentation, collagen stimulation, wound healing and wrinkle smoothing, the so-called botox effect. They are used especially in the care of mature skin and with signs of aging.
What effects can you get using cosmetics with peptides?
Peptides have a number of beneficial properties for the skin, especially for mature skin. Among others they:
- minimize the effects of skin aging – this is especially important for mature skin, however if there are such places on your face or neck that need a special treatment – cosmetics with peptides will definitely be the best choice.
- reduce wrinkle
- enhance skin repair capacity – in young skin there is no such need, however with aging our skin becomes lazy and it slows down the production of naturally needed compounds. That is why you need to help it and start using cosmetics with peptides.
- regenerate the proper skin and the amount of collagen
- support the functioning of skin water management
- reduce hair loss
- strengthen and regenerate nails and hair
As you can see, cosmetics with peptides are not beneficial only for skin. They can also help your hair or nails if needed. That is why peptides are so desired by every woman and man around the world.
What cosmetics to choose?
Products with peptides can be used by any woman, because they show a very low probability of any side effects. They will be particularly useful for women who are struggling with the signs of aging or want to delay this process. Ladies with sensitive skin will also be pleased with the results, due to the properties that strengthen the skin protection barrier. Hair products with peptides can be used by both women and men with signs of androgenic alopecia or seasonal hair loss.
Most often in cosmetic products, we can find the following 3 types of peptides:
- Signal peptides - Among them we find e.g. hexapeptide-10, Palmitoyl tripeptide-5. This type of peptide stimulates skin fibroblasts to produce collagen, elastin and other skin proteins. This makes the skin look firmer, smoother and fuller. Recommended for people with sagging, loss of firmness and flexibility.
- Neuropeptides such as tripeptide-3, Pentapeptide-18, acetyl hexapeptide-8. They perform the function of flushing out wrinkles, as they relax the facial muscles. As a result, facial expressions are reduced and wrinkles are reduced. Dedicated mainly for people who want a quick effect of skin tension and smoothing wrinkles. Often comparable with botox treatments.
- Transport peptides - among them, for example, copper tripeptide-1 or copper lysinate / prolinate. They have an effect on increasing the penetration of active ingredients into the skin. The best known are copper peptides, which are involved in the repair processes, neutralization of free radicals and inhibition of inflammation. They are also responsible for the stimulation of collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid. They are irreplaceable in the case of peeling treatments, acids or retinol, when we feel a lot of irritation and sensitization.
Are there any contraindications for using cosmetics with peptides?
There are no proven side effects that could make you unable to use cosmetics with peptides. First of all try to observe your skin for a while and decide what type of cosmetics with peptides to use. There are face creams with peptides, serums and shampoos with peptides.