Makeup has no set standards because that is part of what makes it fun, creative expression. However, a deep understanding of facial structure, particularly the eyes, is necessary when creating makeup looks. For eyeliner application, knowing the eye shape is essential. Well-applied eyeliner can make or break a person's appearance, and can change, enhance and provide balance and symmetry to the eye shape. With the right technique, it is possible to make the colour of the eyes pop, the lashes appear longer and fuller, and the eyes appear brighter and more awake. In the makeup world, perfecting the eyeliner is like a rite of passage; it takes time and effort.
Determining the form of the eyes can be a little challenging. The majority of people do not have a single eye shape; rather, they have a combination of eye shapes. While there are numerous eye shapes, including round, almond, downturned, hooded, large, small, monolid, close-set, deep-set, wide-set, asymmetrical, and all eye forms, most individuals have difficulty categorizing their own. A sign of round eyes, according to psychological research, is that their whites are visible all the way around the coloured portion of the iris. Having monolid eyes means there is no crease in the eyelid. The almond-shaped iris touches the top and bottom, which has a visible crease in the lid. For people with downturned eye shape, the outer corners of the eyes will be lower than the inner corner of the eyes. People with hooded eyes has strong brow bones with a deep crease, making it difficult to see the eyelid. People with close-set eyes have a space between their eyes that is less than one eyeball's width. For people with wide-set eyes, the distance between their eyes will be more than one eyeball's width. If a person's brow bones are prominent and appear to be set further back in the skull, they have deep-set eyes. On the other hand, smaller eyes are either much smaller or typical in size, comparable to the size of the mouth and nose. While big eyes can be determined by how much larger the eyes appear compared to the other features of the face. Lastly, an asymmetrical eye shape looks to have one eye higher or lower than the other. Occasionally, it is not uneven eyes that cause the appearance of unevenness, but uneven eyebrows or the shape of the nose.
1. Eyeliner for Round Eyes
Round eye forms are typically larger and more prominent, with a round appearance. The cornea of round eyes is completely encircled by white. The round eyes' inner and outer corners are rounded and not drawn inward or outward. This eye shape is characterised by a noticeable crease and a more childlike appearance. Winged eyeliner is the ideal shape for round eyes.
2. Eyeliner for Almond Eyes
A person with almond-shaped eyes has an iris that contacts the lower and upper eyelids. Almond eyes are broader and have smaller eyelids than other types. The lids have a visible crease, and the ends of the eyes taper at the tear duct and outer tip. Cat and winged eyeliner are the two best eyeliner shapes for almond-shaped eyes.
3. Eyeliner for Downturned Eyes
Downturned eyes are a very common type of eye shape. Downturned eye shapes are also referred to as "descending eyelids" and have slightly drooping eyes. This shows that the outer corner of downturned eyes is lower than the inner. This eye form has a dipped top lid that meets the lower lash line. For eyeliner shape, people with downturned eyes should opt for winged eyeliner in thin lines.
4. Eyeliner for Hooded Eyes
Hooded eyes are a term that refers to extra skin that folds down from the brow bone. They can reach the lash line. Certain types of hooded eyes are a perfectly normal and common inherited characteristic. Some may also occur as a result of ageing. The appearance and shape of the eye might be altered as a result of ageing eyelids and they may appear droopy, for instance. This eye form is characterised by a high-brow bone and a deep-set crease. The ideal eyeliner shape for hooded eyes is winged eyeliner, however, to make them appear rounder, make the line thicker in the centre of the eye and thinner at the corners.
5. Eyeliner for Big Eyes
A big eye shape is frequently noticeable. This eye shape is often defined by dominating eyes that extend from the eye socket, giving a Disney princess aura to the look. This eye shape is characterised in a larger proportion to the rest of the face, such as the nose and lips. A big eye shape can pull off any eyeliner look, however, the shade of eyeliners to be used is neutral coloured like brown or taupe.
6. Eyeliner for Small Eyes
Small eyes are usually smaller than the rest of the face. For tiny eye shapes, the space between the ends of the lashes and the brow bone is noticeable. This eye shape features average-sized eyes, similar to other parts of the face such as the nose and mouth. Winged eyeliner is the best eyeliner shape to use on small eyes. However, the liner should be applied in a thin line, winging it at the outer corner of the eyes. To make the eyes appear larger, add beige eyeliner on the bottom waterline to truly brighten the eyes.
7. Eyeliner for Monolid Eyes
The term "monolid" refers to eye shapes with no creases that divide the eyelid into two sections. This eye shape is typically seen in East Asian people, and it is distinguished by the eye sitting flat with the brow bone, linked by a length of skin without a visible fold. This eye shape is characterized by an upper eyelid that covers the inner part of the eyes. Monolid eyes don't have much space, so the ideal eyeliner shape for monolid eyes is a thin winged look. Monolid eyes don't have much space.
8. Eyeliner for Close-Set Eyes
The close-set eye form has eyes that are less than one eyeball width apart. This refers to where the eyes are on the face rather than the shape of the eyes. Close-set eyes are close together and forward-looking. This eye shape features a small gap on either side of the bridge of the nose. Winged eyeliner is the best type of eyeliner look for close-set eyes. However, for this shape, the lining should begin in the middle of the eyelid and extend outward to give the wing look.
9. Eyeliner for Deep-Set Eyes
Deep-set eyes are larger and placed deeper into the skull, giving the appearance of a higher brow bone. They are positioned deeper in the skull and appear larger than other types of eyes. This eye shape is characterised by short and narrow upper eyelids, a visible crease, and reduced white visibility. Winged eyeliner is the best type of eyeliner form for deep-set eyes. However, there are a few ground rules that must be followed. Apply a small line just above the lash line, followed by a thicker line on the outer corner of the eyes, and finish with a winged line.
10. Eyeliner for Wide-Set Eyes
Wide-set eyes are separated by more than one eyeball width. This eye form is the polar opposite of the close-set eye shape. The distance between the eyes across the nose bridge is wider. This sort of eye form features a lower brow location than other faces. Winged eyeliner with a twist is the best sort of eyeliner form for wide-set eyes. People with large eyes can close some of the space by applying a dark colour along the lash line and in the waterline.
11. Eyeliner for Asymmetrical Eyes
Asymmetrical eye shape refers to eyes that are not the same size or form as one other, however, this eye shape is reasonably common. Asymmetrical eyes may signal an underlying medical issue in rare circumstances. However, most of the time, this is not a cause for concern. Sometimes it's not the eyes that are uneven, but the brows or the curve of the nose makes the eyes appear uneven. This eye form features distinct eye levels, making one eye appear higher or lower than the other. The best type of eyeliner shape for asymmetrical eyes is the normal eyeliner look without the wing line. To make the slightly uneven eye appear wider, add extra thickness to the outer corner.
How can You Figure out Your Eye Shape?
Knowing the eye shape can help bring out certain essential features, giving the enthusiast a more smooth and attractive look. There are a few methods for determining the shape of the eyes. To get the finest perspective, place a mirror at eye level and then take a step back. Always glance forward with the eyes open to identify eye shape. The next step is to search for a visible crease. Examine the top of the upper eyelid. If there is no crease at all, this type of eye shape is referred to as monolid. A hooded eye, on the other hand, is defined by a crease that covers all or the majority of the lid. Next, pretend to draw a straight line across the eyes, with the pupil in the centre. Then examine the outer corners to see if they are dragging up above or down below the line. The eye form is upturned if the corners extend over the line. The eyes are downturned if they are below the line. If still not sure, the eyes could be round or almond-shaped. The eye shape is round if the outer corners don't actually pull either way and the whites of the eyes can be seen above or below the iris. It's an almond eye shape if the whites aren't visible. Deep-set eyes are determined by the fact that the eyelids are implanted deeper into the skull than other eye shapes. Close-set eye forms, on the other hand, appear more balanced; the distance between them should be equal to one of the eyes' length. While wide-set eyes, the distance between is less than the width of one eye. For people with smaller eye shapes, the eyes are of average size, which means it is similar to the size of other features of the face. Big eye shape, on the other hand, is bigger and larger than the other features of the face. Lastly, the asymmetrical eye shape has one eye appear higher and the other appear lower.
Which Eyeliner Products should You Use according to Your Eye Shape?
Eyeliner is more than simply a makeup must-have. It can not only change the look from subtle to dramatic, but it can also shapeshift the eyes to make them appear bigger, lifted, wider, or rounder. Not all eye shapes are the same, and there are different types of eyeliner look application, techniques, and products to best emphasize them, just as there are varied skin tones and hair types. The sorts of eyeliner items to use for various eye shapes are listed below.
- Almond-shaped eye: For maximum definition, Almond-shaped eyes are recommended to use gel and liquid liner. The best products to use for gel and liquid eyeliner are L'Oréal Paris Le Liner Signature Easy-Glide Mechanical Eyeliner, Waterproof. Maybelline New York Eye Studio Master Precise Liquid Eyeliner, and Hyper Easy Liquid Pen.
- Hooded-shaped eye: Hooded eye shapes are recommended to use liquid eyeliner in medium shade. The best products to use for liquid eyeliner are L'Oréal Paris Matte Signature Liquid Dip Eyeliner, Waterproof in Black, IT Cosmetics Superhero Liner, and Christian Louboutin Luminous Ink Liner.
- Upturned-shaped eye: The eye shape is usually almond-like, but at the outer corner, there is a slight lift and the bottom lashes turn upward. Any type of eyeliner can rock on this eye shape. The best products to use are L'Oréal Paris Matte Signature Liquid Dip Eyeliner, Waterproof in Blue, Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil, and Sephora Collection Long Lasting Eyeliner High Precision Brush.
- Round-shaped eye: Round eye shape can pull off any look, regardless of the eyeliner to use. The best products to use are L'Oréal Paris Infallible Flash Cat-eye Waterproof Brush Tip Liquid Eyeliner, Lancôme Drama Liquid-pencil Waterproof Eyeliner, and Maybelline New York Master Precise Skinny Gel Eyeliner.
- Small-shaped eye: Small eye shapes are recommended to use a pencil type of eyeliner. The best products to use for pencil eyeliner are L'Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Last Waterproof, Up To 24HR Pencil Eyeliner, and L'Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Last Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil in Nude. NYX Slim Eye Pencil.
- Big-shaped eye: Big eyes are typically larger in proportion to other features on the face. The recommended type of eyeliner for this eye shape is Aqua XL Eye Pencil, Wet n Wild Mega Last Breakup-proof Retractable Eyeliner, and Makeup by Mario Master Pigment Pro Pencil.
- Downturned-shaped eye: Downturned eye shape should focus on elevating the eye, it is recommended to use a thin line of liquid eyeliner. The best products to use for liquid eyeliner are NYX Professionalism Makeup Epic Ink Liner, Giorgio Armani’s Eyes to Kill Lacquered Liquid Eyeliner, and Runner-Up: Revlon ColorStay Liquid Eyeliner.
- Monolid-shaped eye: Monolid eye shapes are characterized by having little to no crease on the lid. Any kind of eyeliner type fares well in this eye shape. The best products to use are Chantecaille Lustre Glide Silk Infused Eye Liner, Sephora 12 Hour Contour Pencil Eyeliner, and Still Stay Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner.
- Asymmetrical-shaped eye: Asymmetrical eyes can often be slightly different in shape, as one might be larger than the other. The recommended type of eyeliner for this eye shape is pencil eyeliner. The best products to use for pencil eyeliner are MAC Eye Kohl, Burt’s Bees Defining Retractable Eyeliner, and Bobbi Brown Long-wear Waterproof Liner.
- Deep-set-shaped eye: The recommended type of eyeliner for deep-set eye shape is liquid eyeliner. The best products to use for liquid eyeliner are Fenty Beauty Flyliner Longwear Liquid Eyeliner in Cuz I’m Black, Eye Black Magic Liquid Eyeliner, and KVD Vegan Beauty Tattoo Liner.
- Wide-set-shaped eye: Applying eyeliner on wide-set eyes suggests measuring the length of each eye, then measuring the distance between the eye. It is recommended to use pencil eyeliner for this type of eye shape. The best products to use for pencil eyeliner are Make Up for Ever’s Aqua Resist Colour Pencil Eyeliners, Pat McGrath labs Permagel Ultra Eye Pencil, and Marc Jacobs Highliner Gel Eye Crayon.
- Close-set-shaped eye: Applying eyeliner on the outer half of the eyes for close-set eye shape can actually make the eyes bigger and defined. It is recommended to use pencil eyeliner for this type of eye shape. The best products to use for pencil eyeliner are L'Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Last Waterproof, Up to 24HR Pencil Eyeliner, NYX Jumbo Pencil in Milk, and Tom Ford Eye Kohl Intense Eyeliner.